Sunday, October 25, 2015

Sharing Gifts with Friends

            Upon visiting Best Friends a few times, I’ve strengthened my relationships with everyone at the day center – the friends, the adult volunteers, and the other CIS 112 student volunteers. I enjoy my time at Best Friends so much that I make the long drive every Friday after classes, no matter how tired I am. When I walk in the door, I’m consistently greeted with a smile and an invitation to sing for the friends. All week I sit in class and look forward to the moment on Friday when I have the opportunity to perform in front of the friends. Nothing makes me happier than seeing people emotionally affected by my signing, and the joyous faces of the friends seated around me make every visit worth my time. 
This is a photo of me singing in a competition that gave me the financial aid to attend the University of Kentucky.


            My Friday visits include many fun activities. I usually arrive around 2:15 in the afternoon, during which time the friends are enjoying a movie and popcorn. I help clean up the mess left behind and walk the friends into the room down the hall where group activities begin. We begin with exercises, as a different person each week leads everyone in punching the air, lifting the legs, and stretching their arms up towards the sky. Then we sing ‘Row, Row, Row Your Boat’ in a round in order to exercise the mind and keep it sharp.
 Sing-a-longs with elders.
After exercises, we reward the friends with ice cream and some talent demonstrations from the student performances. This is the part of the visit where I get up and tell a funny story about my week that leads into me singing a song. Last week, I told a story about me being nervous backstage before a performance. As I paced back and forth, a wire got caught around my foot, and when I walked a few feet on stage, I tripped and fell. The friends laughed, but I told them I nailed the performance that followed. I sang a German aria called ‘Widmung,’ and many of the friends could understand the German lyrics since most of them were born in Europe. Singing for them is always a rewarding experience, and it’s something I look forward to every week.

           While preparing ice cream for the adults, one adult volunteer talked to me about my interests and studies at the University of Kentucky. I told her that I was a vocal performance major but wanted to switch to a Business Management major in order to be considered for some high paying job and provide my future family with a luxurious lifestyle. Although she encouraged me to follow my dream, she asked if I loved singing and making music. Of course I love music, and as I was saying the words, “I love,” I realized why she asked. She told me that I need to do what I love or else I’ll be miserable for the rest of my life, and I took those words to heart. I would be miserable without music, for as Nietzsche once said, “Life without music would be a mistake.” After my service to the friends, I took something very special home with me. Since my conversation with the adult volunteer, I have decided to minor in music in order to keep with me throughout my 4 years in college. I guess the ice cream was some food for thought.
Ice cream - food for thought.


There are many more stories to come, so keep reading!...

- Matthew Zolla -


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post...how awesome! I have a question about your first picture in the post...that is you, right? Could you elaborate on this event a little bit more and what is so significant about it to you? Keep on doing your thing- the lady had a great point when she said to do what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Morgan, that is a picture of me singing which I thought I'd include since it is relevant to the story. The Young Singers Competition is significant to me because I am using my winnings to pay for my UK college tuition and other fees. It was a large part of the reason I decided to attend UK. I also agree that she gave wonderful advice, and it is a phrase I will never forget - "do what you love."

    ReplyDelete