Sunday, October 25, 2015

Getting to Know My New Best Friends

I have had an absolute blast the two times I’ve visited Best Friends Day Center. I’ve really been able to get a feel for what this organization is about: fun. We always start out with some kind of game or fun activity. 

The last time I was there, everyone played “Two Truths and One Lie”. This is when someone gives three facts, two being true and one being a lie. The goal is to trick everyone of what the lie is. So what happened was three volunteers were chosen to play, and I was one of them. So I stood up and made my three statements: 

1) I have 2 brothers.
2) I’m from St. Louis.
3) I’ve never had a pet dog. 

http://www.hecmworld.com/reverse-mortgage-news/b
core/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PuzzledMan.jpg
Everyone asked me tons of questions.

“What are your brothers’ names?”, “What’s there to do in St. Louis?”, “How old are your brothers?”, “Why did you never have a pet dog?” 

After I answered their questions, they decided that my lie was that I had never had a dog. They were wrong, and everyone was so shocked

This game was SO fun to play with everyone, and they kind of got an idea of who I was and where I came from. It really opened it up and everything became a little more comfortable

We then went on to play a jeopardy game, sing some songs, and eat ice cream. My favorite thing about volunteering at Best Friends is when everyone sings songs together. 
http://lds.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Nursing-Home-Dance-off.jpg

You can tell who is very confident about their voice because they like to sing REALLY LOUD (and some are actually really good singers), some like to DANCE to the songs, and some are little more shy and they very quietly sing along. As of now, I’ve only been to Best Friends Day Center twice, but I can’t wait to go back.

- Mollie :)

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun! Do the people you're working with live at the center? And what kinds of things do they like to talk about with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no one lives there full time. It's like a day care center but for older people. They're dropped off in the morning and then picked up around 5 pm later that afternoon. Most of them love to ask about where I'm from, if I go to UK, what I'm studying, and about my family.

      Delete
  2. What kind of songs do you sing while there? Do you see the same residents every time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sing a ton of different songs. Some are patriotic like "America the Beautiful" and "The Star Spangles Banner", and then some are just classic songs like "She'll Be Comin' Around the Mountain". For the most part I see the same people, but there's always a couple new faces.

      Delete