Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What is Best Friends?

     Best Friends Day Center is a program which cares for people with dementia, day in and day out. Best Friends consists of both professionals and volunteers, like myself and the rest of my group. It is an organization dedicated to improving the lives of those with memory loss, and their families. This is done through entertainment (such as singing and games) and therapeutic approaches. The Alzheimer's Association oversees the Best Friends location. Best Friends itself does not have a website or social media. It is a faith-based organization, associated with Christian Care Communities.














This photo is from the Alzheimer's Association website. Pictured is Lexington's Walk to End Alzheimer's, which my parents and I participated in last year.


     I first became interested in Best Friends when my mom volunteered there for the first time a few years ago. She always seemed so happy when she came home from volunteering, and I was really glad she had found a place where she could help people. But to be honest I had never visited the place, so I never really understood what was so amazing about it. 
     
     Eventually though, my mom asked me to play music at Best Friends. This seemed kind of daunting because I had never performed (I play French Horn) in front of so many adults. It turned out to be a pretty moving experience, though. The people didn't judge me, they really just loved having someone play for them. The connection I felt with these people when I played "Over the Rainbow," and my friend played "Amazing Grace," on trumpet, was surreal. These people, for the most part, are many years older than myself, but we found a way to connect through music they knew, and I knew. Many of them won't be able to recall the day my friend and I came in to perform that informal concert, but I will forever remember it. I truly believe that it's okay if someone doesn't remember what happened in the last ten minutes, hours, days, as long as they really enjoyed that experience. And that is what I think is great about Best Friends: the goal is to simply help these people enjoy life. What could be a better mission than that?

     Well, this blog post has kind of gone in a few directions, but the point is that I am really glad to be involved in Best Friends again. What these people are going through is difficult; nobody asks for their memories to be taken away, after all. I believe they deserve the best care possible, and it is my hope that I can make some kind of difference in my time here.

3 comments:

  1. It is so awesome you can relate on a whole other level to volunteering at this place! My grandmother has Alzheimers so I have learned first hand what a challenge it is so pour into these people who need so much love and care, yet forget everything you have done by the next day. Have you gone for your first day yet? I am interested to hear in what ways you have the opportunity to volunteer! I think you will make a huge difference in this environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you have described in this post is truly a beautiful thing. I am a huge supporter in the power of music and I love how you were able to connect with them on such a level. The simplicity of your actions (playing your instrument) made a deeper impact on both you and your audience, and I believe that you made a huge difference in their lives. I also believe that what you said about making them enjoy their experience even though they won't remember it is also a fantastic mindset. You are making a huge difference in these people's lives, and I commend you highly for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awesome that you got to participate in the Alzheimer's walk last year and then this year you are getting to really see how money that is raised for the disease is put to work!

    ReplyDelete