Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Best Friends First Impressions

Best Friends Day Center is a day care facility for adults with memory-loss diseases.  It's a part of a much larger organization called the Alzheimer's Association. It's located at Bridgepoint at Ashgrove Woods as a part of Christian Care Communities. It is a faith-based organization, so many of their daily activities that include religious meanings. For example, they sometimes sing church hymns or make arts and crafts.

Bridgepointe at Ashgrove Woods
http://www.bridgepointeassistedcare.com/

Today was my first day to visit, and I think I'm going to have a great time volunteering there. When I first walked in, I was greeted by multiple people telling me how excited they were to have some younger volunteers. I could hear the folks singing songs in the room next to me, and in between songs I heard a lot of chatter and laughter. There was also a cage with a lot of birds that were chirping and flying all around. In the main room there were a ton of pictures hanging up on the cabinets. It seems like a really happy, cheerful place.

I chose to volunteer at this organization because I think what they do is incredible. So many volunteers and workers spend their time to make these people feel as comfortable and happy as possible. The only person I've ever known that had Alzheimer's disease was my great-grandmother, and I was too young when she passed to even remember her. However, I know how hard it was for my family, so I want to be able to help these people and their families as much as possible.

Today I only filled out paperwork, so I wasn't able to actually sit down and speak with any of the patients. I can't wait for my next visit to Best Friends so I can see more into what they do. As of now, I've only heard about what they do. This is due to the fact that they don't have any kind of social media which has made it hard for me to find out too much information. I'll just have to wait to find out by doing hands-on activities there later this week!!

--Mollie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mollie! I am actually volunteering at Christian Care which sounds like almost the exact same thing as Best Friends Day Center. I'm super excited to volunteer at a place like this also, because I feel like I can learn so much. I actually volunteered there for the first time last week and it was so fun getting to know the patients, I hope you get a lot out of your experience too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place sounds really neat! I love that these people dedicate so much time to make their patients feel competent and at peace, even with such a disease. It sounds like you will have an awesome time volunteering. I can't wait to see what all you get to do while volunteering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell how excited you are about volunteering at Best Friends Day Center, and I'm so excited for you! You're use of descriptive imagery is also great; I was able to create an image in my mind of what your experience at the facility must have been like. I hope you enjoy volunteering with this organization!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, I really enjoyed reading your post. This organization sounds amazing and I am so excited for you to be a part of the services they provide. Alzheimer's is a terrible thing and anything we, as citizens, can do to help serve people influenced by it is an awesome opportunity. I loved the sensory details and descriptive language you used to describe the place. It made it come to life for the reader. I am sure you will be chatting and laughing there with everyone soon. I am excited for all that you will gain through this experience and I look forward to reading about it in the future.

    ReplyDelete