Monday, September 14, 2015

Reflections and First Impressions ...

Best Friends Day Center is an adult day-care program located here in Lexington, Kentucky for those suffering from some type of permanent memory loss (Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, etc.).  This program helps those dealing with the disease, as well as their families  in a multitude of ways by providing a safe, creative, and therapeutic environment.  Family members are oftentimes the sole caretakers, which is certainly a full time job.  They are needed 24/7.  Best Friends gives families a reprieve from the constant worry and stress by providing a facility that will keep their loved ones out of harm’s way and will stimulate their brain in a positive manner through a number of activities such as dance classes, card/board games, singing and much more.  Because Alzheimer’s disease runs in my family, I have unfortunately been witness to how draining the role of caretaker can be in situations like these.  Having a few hours where you know your loved one is safe means the absolute world. 
I attended orientation on Friday with a few of my other group members, and as soon as I walked through the doors, I knew I had made the right decision by choosing Best Friends.  The first thing I noticed as I stepped through the doors was the bird cage in the lobby filled with a beautiful variety of finches.  They provided a calm over the area — bringing nature to the indoors.  The facility was extremely warm and inviting.  I really liked how the facility was placed on the outskirts of a neighborhood.  This just re-enforced the community feel of the organization.  After filling out some paperwork, we were able to go into the common area and sing with the patients.  They enjoyed picking out songs and singing along with us.  It was such a great moment!      

A close-up of three finches on a piece of bark.
 Look at how cute these finches are!
photo credit: http://www.petful.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/pet-finches.jpg (exact author unknown)   
Best Friends doesn’t have a website or any kind of social media, so as my service-learning journey continues, I hope to learn more about this wonderful organization and share my findings with you all. Best Friends Day Center was my top choice because, as I mentioned above, Alzheimer’s disease runs in my family.  I lost my great-grandmother to the disease most recently and it certainly struck a chord inside me.  Alzheimer’s is a very unique disease.  It doesn’t attack your body necessarily, but your mind - who you truly are as a person.  There is nothing worse than being confused constantly.  Dementia and other diseases that cause permanent memory loss force their victim into a world of unfamiliarity and fear; it is a world that they are unable to escape.  This makes me even more passionate about this organization and its mission.  I look forward to visiting with and getting to know each individual at Best Friends and (of course) doing some more singing over the next few months! 

*Best Friends has strict rules regarding the taking of photos on their property; however, I will be able to upload photos that are similar to what we see at Best Friends.  

- Madalyn 

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to volunteer here with you every Friday! This was a great summary of the Best Friends Day Center, especially since we've been there twice already, and I love how you mentioned the finches! No one else did. Dementia is a sad disease, and we're blessed to be able to help Best friends out any way we can/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your reference to the finches! Your attention to such a minor (but meaningful) detail predicts your success during your service learning. Also, I really enjoyed your testimony as to why you're interested in the organization and your hopeful personal connection to the patients at Best Friends. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for your comments! The finches are still one of my favorite parts of the facility. They are so calming and bring a hint of nature to the building.

    ReplyDelete