Thursday, December 10, 2015

Wrapping It Up At Best Friends


Today was, unfortunately, my last day volunteering for Best Friends, but it was also one of the best times I’ve had there. I went earlier than usual, and on a different day, so I met some people that I hadn’t seen before. The woman I spent time with today was the sweetest lady I’ve ever met. She told me all about what she used to do, her family, and her favorite things to do. It seemed like she has a great life, and I enjoyed talking with her about it. Many people came by and sat down to talk to her while I was there. It was clear that everyone loved her very much.

Someone knew that was there today was a chaplain. He came and talked to everyone about Christmas and what Christmas is really about. It was a great time listening to him. He reminded everyone about how and where Jesus was born, and pointed out that Jesus was born in a very humble place. He was born in a manger in a barn, but he still grew up helping everyone even though he never had much. He then talked about how more people need to be like Jesus and be very humble. I could tell that the Best Friends absolutely loved when the chaplain came because everyone was trying to talk to him and they were so intrigued by what he was saying.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/30/ministering-to-theterminallyill.html
Volunteering at Best Friends has shown me how much these people with these terribly sad diseases enjoy going to a place and relaxing with activities to take part in. Almost everyone is always so happy and singing along to and music that’s playing (which it frequently is), and just enjoying their time with the others.


Hopefully, I’ll find some time in my busy schedule to visit Best Friends some more because I had so much fun spending time with them this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment